Installing an operating system such as Windows using a CD/DVD is quite old fashioned in 2018. Right?
Majority of the tech geeks don’t use CD’s anymore because everyone has moved ahead and using tiny pen drives to install Windows in their laptops/ computers.
But here is the thing,
You can’t install an operating system on any pen drive because every pen drive isn’t bootable. You have to make it bootable by doing some simple tasks and I’m going to show you how exactly it is being done.
In just 3 minutes I’m going to show you How to make a pen drive bootable by following the above simple tass.
How to create a bootable pen drive
There are many ways to make a pen drive bootable But I have chosen only 3 ways because I don’t want you to get confused.
Method 1: By using CMD
This is the easiest way to do it because you don’t need an additional software to get it done.
1. Open Windows Search bar and Type “CMD”. Right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”.
2. Type “Diskpart”(without spaces) and Enter.
3. Now type “List disk” and it’ll display every disk your computer is connected.
As you can see, there are 2 disks connected to my laptop i.e Internal hard drive and external USB drive.
4. Now you need to select the USB drive for formatting. In this case, “Disk 1” is the USB drive hence I’m typing “Select disk 1” and then type “clean”.
You must be very careful with this step because selecting the wrong drive will make a mess. So double check the selected drive before hitting the enter button.
5. Now type “create partition primary”.
6. Now you need to type “select partition primary”
7. Now type “Active”.
8. After that, you need to format the pen drive by typing “format= fs ntfs”.
This is the only step in this process which takes a while but don’t get panic and try to eject the USB drive while doing this. This process may take around 10-15 minutes to complete. So don’t worry.
9. Now type “exit” and close the command prompt. and that’s it.
Now your pen drive is bootable and you easily install Windows 7/8/10 without any issues. Just copy the extracted ISO files on your USB drive and you are good to go.
If you aren’t good with codes or feeling little lazy to follow the above steps, then method 2 and method 3 will surely help you.
Method 2: By using Rufus
This is even easier and simpler method to create a bootable USB drive than above one but the only thing you have to do is download a software which is only 1MB in size.
1. Download the official Rufus from here.
2. Run the software and select the right flash drive which you want to make it bootable. After that, select the right ISO file from file explorer (as shown below)
3. Now click the start button and Rufus will do the rest of the task. Just sit back tight for few minutes and it’ll be completed.
Now your pen drive is ready to get Windows OS. Enjoy.
There are still many people who aren’t aware that they can install an operating system by pen drive and there are some people who don’t know the procedure of doing it. If you are from any of those categories, then I’m sure that you may have learned How to make bootable pen drive by reading this post.
If you have any doubts or questions regarding a bootable pen drive, then I’ll be more than happy to answer your questions. Just leave a comment below and I’ll get to you as soon as I can.